Ancient Greek mythology
After a long voyage, I arrived with my companions to the land of the fierce Cyclops who do not know the laws. They are not engaged in agriculture, but despite this, the earth gives them in abundance itself. Caves are inhabited by giant Cyclops, each knows only his family, they are not going to the national Assembly. Immediately we stuck to their land. We entered the Bay a small island located near the island of the Cyclops. No man never visited this island, although he was very fertile. On this island is abundant in wild goats, and since I’ve never seen those goats man, they scared us. Moored to the shore at night, we slept peacefully on the shore, and in the morning began to hunt the goats. On each of my ships got nine goats, for the same ship on which I sailed, I took ten of them. The whole day we rested after the hunt, have fun feasting on the shore. We heard from the land of the Cyclops their voices and the bleating of their flocks. The next morning I decided to sail on his ship to the land of the Cyclops to find out what it’s for the people. We quickly crossed the narrow Strait and landed on the shore. Near the sea we saw a cave, overgrown Laurel trees and enclosed by a fence of huge stones. I took a twelve trusted comrades, seized a skin of wine and food and entered the cave of the Cyclops. As we learned after that Cyclops was terribly fierce, he lived separately from others and lonely herding their flocks. Not like he was, like all Cyclops, on the other people. It was a giant, he had tremendous force and had only one eye in the forehead. When we entered his cave, he wasn’t home, he was tending flocks. In the cave of the Cyclops in the baskets was full of cheese, pails and bowls stood curdled milk. In the cave were built fencing for lambs and kids. My companions tried to persuade me, capturing the best lambs and kids and taking cheese, run to the ship, but I, unfortunately, did not listen to them. I wanted to see the Cyclops. Finally came himself and Cyclops. He threw a huge bundle of firewood on the ground at the entrance to the cave. Seeing Cyclops, in fear we huddled in the darkest corner of the cave. Cyclops backed into the cave his flock, piled rock, the entrance to her and began to milk the goats and sheep. Milk them, he lit a fire to cook their food. Then he saw us and rudely asked in a voice of thunder:
– Who are you? Where do you come from? True, without the case you wander on the seas, causing all the peoples unhappiness?
– We are all Greeks, ‘ I said to the Cyclops, is sailing from Troy. We brought the storm. We beseech you to receive us friendly, as guests. Because you know that Zeus punish someone who offends strangers and provides them with hospitality.
– It is evident that from afar thou come hither, stranger! – furiously shouted Cyclops, if you think that I fear your gods. What business is it to me of Zeus! I’m not afraid of the wrath of Zeus! I’m not going to spare you! I’m gonna do what I want! Tell me, where are your ships! I understand why Cyclops asks me about my ship, and answered him:
– The storm smashed the ship on the coastal cliffs, only I and my companions escaped.
Nothing answered me Cyclops. He quickly grabbed his enormous hands of my two companions, smote them to the ground and killed. Then he boiled them, cutting their bodies to pieces, and ate it. To the indescribable horror came and we began to pray to Zeus for salvation. Cyclops, after my horrible dinner, calmly stretched out on the ground and fell asleep. I wanted to kill him, drew his sword, but, looking at the huge rock which littered the entrance, realized that not to escape us. The morning came. Again the Cyclops killed two of my companions. After eating them, he drove the herd out of the cave, and the entrance blocked by rock. I spent ages thinking means how to be saved, he came up with. In the cave I found a huge beam, like the mast. Cyclops, they probably wanted to make a cudgel. I was cut off with the sword of the end of a log, drew it, burned on the coals Th hid. In the evening returned with a herd of Cyclops. Again he killed two of my companions, and, having finished his disgusting dinner, wanted to go to bed. But I approached him and offered a Cup of wine. Drank wine Cyclops demanded more, telling me:
– Pour me some more so tell me, what’s your name, I want to make you a gift. I poured the Cyclops a second bowl, he demanded a third, and I poured a third. Feeding her, I said to the Cyclops:
– You want to know my name? My name is Nobody. – Well, listen, Nobody, I’ll eat you last, this will be my gift to you, – answered me with a laugh Cyclops. He drank the third Cup, obmelel, fell to the ground and fell asleep. Then I gave a sign to the comrades, we grabbed the pointy end of a log, lit it on fire and burned out the eyes of Cyclops. He roared from the terrible pain, pulled out of the steaming red eyes and began to call for help from other Cyclopes. They came running and began to ask:
– What happened to you, Polyphemus? Who hurt you? Took if you had your herd? Why did you Wake us? They were answered, wildly USREOU, Polyphemus:
– Me not by force, but by cunning kills No one! Cyclops got angry and shouted to Polyphemus:
– If nobody is hurt then there is no need for you to cry! If you were sick, this is the will of Zeus, and no one can change that. With these words he departed Cyclops. Morning came. With a loud moan pushed from the entrance of the Polyphemus rock and began to produce in the herd, touching hands on the back of each sheep and each goat. Then, to save his comrades, I made on three sheep under average and tied one of their comrades. I, clinging to the thick wool from the great sheep, the favorite song hung under it. The rams were tied underneath my companions by Polyphemus. Last came the sheep, which I hung. Stopped him Polyphemus, began to caress him and complaining about his misfortune, that hurt his impertinent Nobody. Finally, he missed and the sheep. So we were saved from certain death. We soon drove the flock of Polyphemus to the ship, where we waited for friends. I comrades mourn the dead. We quickly entered the ship, taking the sheep of Polyphemus, and they sailed from the coast. When we sailed at such a distance that you can hear the person’s voice, I loudly shouted the Cyclops:
– Hey, Cyclops! His cruelty you have incurred a punishment of Zeus. No longer will you kill and devour the hapless Wanderers. I heard the Cyclops, in a rage he picked up a rock and threw it into the sea. I almost smashed the bow of the ship rock. Excited sea from falling of the cliff. A huge wave picked up my boat and threw it on shore. But I pushed the sixth ship, we sailed again at sea. Starting off, I shouted to Polyphemus:
– Know, Polyphemus, that you were blinded by Odysseus, king of Ithaca. Howled with anger wild Cyclops and loudly exclaimed: – Fulfilled the prophecy spoken to me by a soothsayer! I thought that Odyssey is the fearsome giant, not such an insignificant worm like you! Begged Polyphemus father Poseidon, to punish he me for what I was deprived of his eyesight. He grabbed the cliff first, and even more were thrown into the sea. The rock fell astern of the ship. A huge wave picked up my boat and threw it far out to sea. So we were saved. Happily we reached the island, where we waited for other ships. There we brought rich sacrifices to the gods. After spending the night on the shores of this island, the next day we went on a long journey across the vast sea, grieving over his lost comrades.